PROGEBE - SENEGAL
National Coordination Unit (NCU)
District Saré Moussa, BP. 447 Kolda, Senegal
Tel. : (221) 33 938 80 28
Dakar antenna c / o of Animal Husbandry Department, 37, avenue Pasteur, BP 67 Dakar, Senegal
The National Coordination includes a Coordinator, three experts (animal productions, environment/natural resources management, monitoring and evaluation), a head of administration and finance and support staff.
Each site is managed by a team consisting of a Site Coordinator, two technicians (animal productions and NRM) and three animators.
The project operates in five (5) sites:
• Three (03) primary sites in the rural communities (RC) of Bandafassi, Wassadou and Tenghory respectively for the regions of Kedougou, Kolda and Ziguinchor.
• Two (02) secondary sites in the CR of Niaming (eg Medina Yoro Foula) in Kolda and Ndiamacouta in Sédhiou region. These will be installed later in the light of models adopted in the primary sites.
Area: 5,980 km2
Beneficiaries: 112,000 inhabitants
Cattle: 196,100 heads
Small ruminants: 283,600 heads
The National Coordination is overseen by a National Steering Committee and Local Steering Committees for consultation.
- the characterization of endemic ruminant livestock and its ecosystem;
- the rehabilitation of the Zootechnical Research Centre (CRZ) of Kolda to host the nuclei foundations;
- The installation of 50 village multiplication herds;
- the training of private relay veterinarians at sites level;
- the retraining of technicians and training of 4600 agro-pastoralists, including 2,300 women, in various technical fields;
- a detailed study on the economic viability and competitiveness of endemic ruminant livestock breeds;
- the equipment of the sub-regional livestock market of Sare Yoba;
- the development of 5 slaughtering areas;
- the improving 30km of feeder roads;
- the opening of 675 km of stock routes and 900 km of firewall;
- The equipment of 5 local livestock markets in the districts or sub-prefectures of the intervention area;
- the construction and equipment of three mini-dairies for the best organized women associations.